Reality TV shows are the latest buzz for the entertainment industry in India. These TV contest shows have welcome heartily by many audiences across the country who have become tired of the never ending saga of the family dramas and soaps and thus most prefer switching over to the reality tv shows.
The rising popularity of the Indian reality shows lies in the fact that these are short termed yet these present the perfect dose of entertainment. These shows give opportunities to the prodigies residing in the interiors of the country to showcase their talent.
Top 5 Reality TV Shows in India with Highest Viewership
Guest Article by Kaustav Ghosh :-
The characters that are part of the reality shows are real. As a result, it is easy for the audiences to relate to the participants. These shows have not only changed the destinies of many television channels but also of many ordinary people.
The boom in the Indian reality shows occurred right after the unprecedented success of Kaun Banega Crorepati on Star Plus and Indian Idol on Sony,which opened up numerous avenues for such shows on Indian television.
The Indian Reality shows have also been consistently successful in offering a wide variety on comedy, song, dance, talent hunt contest and several others. Celebrity reality shows are another aspect of reality television that has become extremely popular with the audience. Here is a list of most popular and latest reality shows in India:
1.Indian Idol (Sony Entertainment Television)
Indian Idol is a popular television show on Indian television, a singing talent contest to determine the best undiscovered young singer in the country. It is based on the international Idol series format, launched by UK show Pop Idol.
It started airing in India with the First Season in 2004-2005.5 successful seasons of Indian Idol have taken place till now and really very deserving people have won the titles.
- Season One (2004-2005) :Abhijeet Sawant
- Season Two (2005-2006) :Sandeep Achary
- Season Three (2007) :Prashant Tamang
- Season Four(2008-2009): Saurabhee Debbarma
- Season Five(2010): Sreeram Chandra.
The show encourages young talent of the country and has a panel of very respected jury members who are from the Indian Music Industry or Film Industry who have worked with some prominent singers of the country.
2. Sa Re Ga Ma Pa (Zee TV)
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa, formerly known as Sa Re Ga Ma before Shaan’s debut, is a musical contest shown on Zee TV. ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge’ is one of the oldest and the most reputed reality show on Indian television. This is one show, which brings into limelight the real talent.The first episode aired on May 1, 1995.
The most notable and prominent singers that emerged from the contest are listed below:
- Avdhoot Gupte
- Priya bhattacharya
- Shreya Ghosal
- Nihira Joshi
- Sanjeevani Bhelande who won the championship in 1995
- Hamsika Iyer – Runner up of the championship in 1995
- Vijay Prakash who participated in 1999
- Kunal Ganjawala who participated in 1997 and again in 1998
- Bela Shende who emerged as winner of Mega Final.
- Sanjeevani who became renowned singer.
- Sonu Nigam- Host (1995-1999)
- Amaan Ali Bangash & Ayaan Ali Bangash- Host (1999-2001)
- Shaan- Host (2002-2006)
- Aditya Narayan – Host (2007)
- Dhairya Solecha & Afsha Musani -Hosts of Little Champs 2009
- Ms.Jani & Karan Singh-Hosts of Mega Channel 2009
- Purob Kohli-Host(2010)
3. MTV Roadies (MTV)
The meanest reality show on Indian Television, MTV Roadies has travel, adventure, drama and also a dash of voyeurism. The auditions are deliberately acrimonious to test the participant’s attitude, tolerance and patience levels.
Each episode consists of number of tasks or challenges which they have to perform. These tasks can be either Money tasks or Immunity tasks. In the Money tasks, the Roadies add cash to their account on successful completion of these tasks while in Immunity tasks, the team or roadie which wins gets Immunity. The team or roadie which attains Immunity becomes safe from vote-out i.e its members cannot be voted-out in that particular episode.
- Season One: no official winner but Rannvijay, who was among the two finalists from this season went on to become a MTV VJ and host the following seasons
- Season Two: Ayushmann Khuranna
- Season Three: Parul Shahi
- Season Four: Anthony Yeh from Kolkata
- Season Five: Ashutosh Kaushik from Saharanpur.
- Season Six: Nauman Sait from Bangalore
- Season Seven: Anwar Syed
Roadies is obviously the BAAP of all reality shows in India. It is a youth-based popular reality television show on MTV India.People watch it to see the constant altercations among the Roadies and to have a laugh at their expense. But the main reason Roadies 4 is to know When The Hell Will Bani Get Eliminated.
4.The Great Indian Laughter Challenge (Star One):
The Great Indian Laughter Challenge is one of the very successful reality shows on Indian television. It is a competition of stand up comedians that is presented on STAR One. This show is produced by Endemol India, the fourth series of the show launched on June 6, 2008. It has run through three seasons where stand-up comedians and performers from different places came together and showed their comedy skills to judges, live audience and people.
The show was judged by Shekhar Suman, an eminent TV personality and Navjot Singh Sidhu who a famous former cricketer and cricket commentator from India. .” The show also made host Perizad Kolah very popular and Shonali Nagrani .
- Season One: Sunil Pal
- Season Two: Rauf Lala from Pakistan
- Season Three: Kapil Sharma from Amritsar
- Season Four: Suresh Albela from Kota, Rajasthan
The judges for the grand finale, included Umer Sharif, the legendary Pakistani performer.The first two seasons were followed by another show The Great Indian Laughter Champions which included top performers of the previous shows.The fourth season features judges Navjot Singh Sidhu and popular actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha, who has replaced Shekhar Suman.
5. Jhalak Dikhla Jaa (Sony Entertainment Television):
Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa is an Indian version of BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing and ABC’s Dancing with the Stars. ony Entertainment Television brings Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa with new celebrities and well known faces to perform with professional dance partners on a highly competitive stage. The show is produced by Synergy (makers of Kaun Banega Crorepati), BBC worldwide and Theatre Red for SET in India.
The show whose format is taken from the ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ show of BBC, which has been a huge success across 27 countries like Britain, America, Australia, New Zealand, and Italy.It also loosely based on ‘Dancing with the Stars’ show, and was started by Sony to compete against STAR One’s already popular Nach Baliye show.
The first season of the show that started on September 7, 2006 was hosted by real life couple Archana Puran Singh and Parmeet Sethi.
The second season of the show that started on September 28, 2007 and ended December 15th, 2007. The show was hosted by Mona Singh, Winner of first season, and Rohit Roy. This time there were 12 participants.
The third season started on February 27, 2009 and ended on May 31, 2009.and hosted by beautiful Shweta Tiwari and Shiv Pandit.
The fourth season of the show premiered on December 12, 2010 on Sony Entertainment Television and hosted by Mona Singh and Sumit Raghavan
- Season One – Mona Singh, television actress
- Season Two – Prachi Desai, television actress
- Season Three-Baichung Bhutia,famous footballer
- Season Four-Meiyang Chang,Actor,Singer,Dentist & Anchor
- Season One – Farah Khan, Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Shilpa Shetty
- Season Two – Urmila Matondkar, Shiamak Davar and Jeetendra
- Season Three-Saroj Khan , Juhi Chawla and Vaibhavi Merchant
- Season Four-Madhuri Dixit, Malaika Arora Khan and Remo Dsouza.
It’s a ‘Bollywoodisation’ of salsa, jazz and cha cha for the contest, says dance consultant for the Sony reality show and choreographer Sandip Soparrkar whose task is to ensure that the international dance forms appeal to the Indian viewer.
If you like this article, share your feedback or comments here.