How to Create Firefox Add-on from Greasemonkey Scripts
If work a lot with Greasemonkey scripts then you might me knowing how useful they are.
They really spice up things to a whole new level of user experience on popular sites like gmail, facebook, youtube and orkut.
Some popular usages of GM scripts are :
- Get Direct Links to Images in Google Image Search
- Watch YouTube Music Videos with Lyrics
- How to Disable / Remove Facebook Ads ?
- Watch Youtube Videos without Annoying Ads or Comments
How to Convert Greasemonkey Script in Firefox Addon
There is a smart conversion tool which allows you to take a Greasemonkey script and turn it into a "xpi" Firefox extension.
You may use this tool to create a Firefox extension (.xpi) from a Greasemonkey script.
Go to User Script Compiler : Link
- Copy and Paste the entire contents of the Greasemonkey script file into the User Script field.
- If you want to add the developer’s name and so on, you can normally find it at the beginning of the text file.
- Then when all fields are filled, press the "Compile" button. An XPI file should now be generated for you onto your computer.
- That’s your new Firefox extension.
This is a better way, as without installing the Greasemonkey add on several scripts, you can compile your favorite scripts into a single add-on and install it.
Note : To Install Add-on files (.xpi) just right click and Open With > Firefox. Or simply drag & drop the file inside the firefox window.
Leave your comments….