Free Software to Convert DVD, BluRay to MKV Format
For those of you who don’t know, MKV stands for “Matroska Video”. Matroska is a container file format, capable of holding unlimited number of video, audio and subtitle tracks, along with any metadata. Being open and patent-free Matroska gained broad support recently and quickly becomes de-facto standard for storing movies.
MakeMKV (link) – Make MKV from Blu-Ray and DVD
MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way.
Additionally MakeMKV can instantly stream decrypted video without intermediate conversion to wide range of players, so you may watch Blu-ray and DVD discs with your favorite player on your favorite OS or on your favorite device.
- Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs
- Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
- Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
- Preserves chapters information
- Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
- Fast conversion – converts as fast as your drive can read data.
- No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
- Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
- All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.
The good thing is that MKV files are smaller in size when compared to avi with the same quality.