YouTube is one of the most popular sites on the internet. It’s so popular that 75% of children are wanting to become YouTubers as their career and lots of people are looking for easy ways to increase youtube subscribers on their channel. It’s so popular because it’s such a fun experience to make videos. Sharing videos you shoot on youtube with friends is great, but most of the times the video becomes boring without a cool music or soundtrack playing in the background. So the best way to spice it up is to add a favorite song, music track to it.
BUT, the problem is that youtube will ban your video and remove it on the basis of copyright issues. In fact, its done pretty much automatically. Details : How Youtube Removes Videos with Copyright Infringement
Prevent Youtube Video Copyright Ban
# Adding Copyright Free Music, Soundtrack to Youtube Videos
- Sign into your YouTube account and upload the video.
- Once the video is done uploading, Edit the video in Youtube and use the AudioSwap feature. (AudioSwap is a service of YouTube where users can switch the audio track on a video they uploaded with professional tracks from cooperating artists and record labels).
- You can watch the AudioSwap tutorial here if needed.
- Select any Track. (To the right of the list is a Preview button so you can preview the video with the audio).
Note: It is highly suggested you check “Only show songs of similar length to my video”, and if you really want to go for the thought-provoking style of music, always go with “Soundtrack” for the genre.
# Adding Images Which Doesn’t Infringe Copyrights
If you are making a video like a slideshow of pictures and images with captions and a soundtrack playing behind it. Then to be on the safe side of your youtube video beign banned on copyright grounds you must use royalty free images.
Luckily, there are plenty of websites for copyright free photos that wont require you to dig into your pockets. Heres 5 of them.
You can use them easily in your video without worrying about youtube’s copyright issues.
# Taking Precautions while Uploading Youtube Videos
It is worthwhile to take a few simple precautions to make certain you dont have youtube’s copyright infringement problems down the road:
- Dont Embed Clearly Infringing Material: Lengthy clips of popular television shows and movies, meaning the length goes beyond what might be considered fair use, should not be embedded.
- Stick to Amateur Clips: Since the majority of the most popular clips on YouTube are amateur-made, it is probably best to stick to those while adding them in your videos if necessary
- Say Something About It: Rather than simply using another youtube clipping, say something about it. Offer some commentary or criticism regarding the clip or discuss an issue that relates to it. This might not make an infringing use non-infringing.
I hope these tips will help you save yourself from youtube copyright issues… Let us know in comments.
Did you Know : The background music (Forever by Chris Brown) that was used in the popular JK Wedding Dance video (Link) with 52+ million views, was copyrighted to Sony Music, they had an option early on to get that video removed from the YouTube website, but chose the second option (monetization) and added affiliate advertising to the video allowing viewers to purchase that song from iTunes. After this, in 2008 song “Forever” reached number 4 on iTunes.