Ever faced a situation where your PC (windows) won’t boot but you remember you have so many important files you backed up yet. Re-Installing windows may be a a easy solution but you won’t be able to recover back your files especially if they are on the C: drive (My Documents and Desktop). No problem, here are 3 ways you might boot into a windows pc when it fails to boot and recover and backup without windows or any emergency boot disk. If you find yourself in such a situation or find that your hard drive is corrupted you may want to look into a service similar to ones offered by somewhere like DriveSavers (https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/welcome/welcome-seagate-customers/) who may be able to help you recover your lost or corrupted data.
1. Use RedoBackup for Easy Backup and Windows Recovery Within Minutes
Redo Backup and Recovery (Download) is so simple that anyone can use it. It is the easiest, most complete disaster recovery solution available. It allows bare-metal restore, which means that even if your hard drive melts or gets completely erased by a virus, you can have a completely-functional system back up and running in as little as 10 minutes. Redo Backup is the most advanced recovery solution. It is small, fast, and very easy to use, even for everyday computer users.
You don’t have to install Redo Backup. And you don’t even need to have an operating system installed. Just insert the CD or USB stick into your PC and reboot. Never reinstall Windows again!
* File browser allows access even if system won’t boot
* Simple GUI provides related tools and utilities
* Web access for downloading drivers or finding help
The system boots in less than a minute, and all your hardware gets detected automatically. The system uses minimal space and resources, and the download size is less than 75MB.
2. Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup, Recover Files from PC, Laptop
Since we can’t backup without windows, we will be creating a temporary boot disc that allows us to access our files without booting into windows.
- Access another PC, download the free Ubuntu OS (Link) (which is the best linux distro). You can also order free ubuntu cd delivered at your home free for future use.
- Once you download the Ubuntu CD ISO file, you can launch a CD DVD burning software. Put your blank disc into your burner, and click ‘Write Image File to Disc’. Click on the folder to browse for a file, and find the Ubuntu ISO file you downloaded.
- Now that you have the boot cd, just stick it in the optical drive of your PC and restart to boot from it. You should see an option to Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer. (see below)
- Once the operating system has loaded, choose Places > Computer from the menu.
- Now, you can access the windows folders there. Simply backup you files using a usb drive. In most cases people have partitions in their windows hard drive. So basically you can also copy your Documents folder and other useful folders from the C: drive to any other drive in the partition. Because, while re-installing windows only C: drive is formatted.
This method of getting a backup without windows is the best according to me. But, if there are any error saying “Unable to mount the volume” you can refer this article for detailed guide of this boot backup method.
3. Build A Custom Windows Recovery Disk!
Save yourself the hassle of rebuilding your system and protect your data by building a custom recovery disk. Here’s a step by step tutorial that shows you how rebuild your system in the event of a catastrophic disk failure… and learn about Rescue CDs and Slipstreaming while you do!
I hope you can recover files backup without windows using these methods. I used Method 2 few day back for my laptop and it works like a charm. Let us know your experiences and suggestions in comments.