Avoid Survey Popups, Email Forms that Block Webpage Content
Let’s first try to understand different types of forms and overlay layers. Most overlays have a form embedded in them. The intention of these layers is to get the user details before they get to use the website. Many layers allow users to close them without filling details. Some allow users to close them by clicking on any area outside of the layer or by pressing escape key. If you get no response on following these steps, you need to take a harsher steps.
3 Ways to Remove Embedded Survey, Sign Up Forms which Block Webpages
1. Using Development Tools in Chrome to Delete the Layer
This is the easiest way to get rid of the popup form layer. Let’s take an example of a layer shown above. Now follow these steps -
- Select any text on the embedded form overlay or popup.
- Press F12. This will open developers tool and show the exact HTML behind the text selected.
Navigate the HTML tree and see the elements of the layer high-lighted on the screen.
For example <div id="MB_window" and <div id="MB_overlay" in the image below.
- Once you reach the element that is behind the entire layer (this is generally a DIV), right click and select "Delete Node".
You will see that they layer is deleted. In some cases the background is covered with another semi-transparent layer. You can use above steps to locate this transparent element and delete it.
- Go to chrome://chrome/settings/ from the address bar.
- Click Show advanced settings
- Under Privacy section, click on Content settings
3. Block Survey Popups with Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus extension has become one of the most popular firefox addons installed. Now whenever you surf around the web, the things which you mostly see are advertisements. Adblock Plus automatically removes pestering ads once you assign which ads to block. Simply click "Open Blockable Items" and remove ads from any advertiser forever. Watch a quick overview at youtube.
- Install Adblock Plus for your Browser (Links : Firefox | IE | Chrome )
- Now, right click on any banner, popup, ad etc you want to block and Click "Block Frame…"
- It will show you the advertisers website. Simply Block the whole domain.
- You will never see ads from that advertiser again in your browser. (but you can disable filters later).
How do you deal with annoying layers while surfing? Share them below.
Guest Post written by Paresh for 95paisa.